Wednesday, 22 September 2010

The marrow of life.

I have to say this is something I have thought about before. It isn't something that I have actually looked into enough to go through with it. But I will now.

My friends Sonja's husband  Richard is fighting Leukemia. He needs to find a bone marrow donor .

They have 2 small gorgeous boys and are just one of the sweetest, happiest families you could ever know.

If it was my family that was affected by this illness , I would hope with all of my heart that my family and friends would help in any way they can. Even if it was up to the kindness of a stranger, I would be hoping and praying that someone had registered to step forward and help.

I asked Sonja if we were too far away to be tested (being that I am in the UK and they live in Canada) and she assured me that there is an international database, the search goes worldwide. So I have been researching how to go about it over here.

This is a link with info on how to become a blood/bone marrow donor in the UK.

Here is the link that Sonja posted on her blog.

I am just hoping that by offering this story up here on my blog, I know I only  have a few followers , but it would only take one person. Even if I can't help Richard, even if I can't help find a donor for him. Maybe I could be the stranger that helps someone else.

Just a thought x


4 comments:

Peek Thru Our Window said...

Cool idea!

AJ and Dexter's Mom said...

Thank you so much, Lee Ann!

Leslie said...

what a great thing to put out there!!!

Best wishes and prayers to Richard and Sonja.

lisbonlioness said...

I'll register if I qualify. Sounds easy enough, 5 days of (light) preparation and then hooked up to a machine briefly. Didn't know it was that simple, so heck, why not?
Thanks for the links, chick, looks like saving a life might take next to no effort.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails